Cookies can improve your Internet experiences by storing settings and information for web sites you visit. However, you may want to block cookies and learn how to disable cookies so that web sites do not place cookies on your computer, Mac or Windows. This short article explains how you can disable (and enable) cookies in various browsers. This is a simply procedure but depends on which web browser you are using. Please note that cookies are allowed by default in most browsers.
Also note that disabling cookies may prevent some web pages from functioning / displaying correctly.
Table of Contents
Please select your browser from the list to get started:
- iOS: Safari
- iOS: Chrome
- iOS: FireFox
- Android: Chrome
- Android: FireFox
- Desktop: Safari
- Desktop: Chrome
- Desktop: Firefox
- Desktop: Internet Explorer
- Desktop: Microsoft Edge
How to disable cookies in mobile Safari (iOS – iPad, iPhone or iPod touch)
- Tap Settings on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
- Tap Safari
- Tap Block Cookies (Privacy & Security section)
- You can choose: Always Block, Allow from Current Website Only, Allow from Websites I Visit, Always Allow. These mean:
- Always block: All cookies are disabled.
- Allow from Current Website Only: Safari only accepts cookies from the web site you are currently browsing.
- Allow from Websites I Visit: Safari accepts cookies from the websites you visit.
- Always Allow: All cookies are accepted.
- Select Always Block and exit by pressing the Home button.
How to disable cookies in Desktop Safari
- Open Safari on your Mac or PC
- Click Safari
- Select Preferences (or press Command – ,)
- Click Privacy
- You will see “Cookies and website data”. Choose one from the options: Always Block, Allow from Current Website Only, Allow from Websites I Visit and Always Allow.
- Select Always Block.
How to disable cookies in Desktop Chrome
The short version:
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More Settings.
- At the bottom, click Advanced.
- Under “Privacy and security,” click Content settings.
- Click Cookies.
- From here, you can:
- Turn on cookies: Next to “Blocked,” turn on the switch.
- Turn off cookies: Turn off Allow sites to save and read cookie data.
- Open Chrome on your computer, PC or Mac
- Click More
- Click “Settings”
- Select “Advanced”
- Click “Content Settings”
- Click “Cookies”
- Turn off “Allow sites to save and read cookie data”.
How to disable cookies in Chrome on iOS (iPhone or iPad)
Important to remember: If you remove cookies, you will be signed out of websites and your saved preferences could be deleted.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Chrome app .
- At the top right, tap More Settings.
- Tap Privacy Clear browsing data.
- Check “Cookies, Site Data.” Uncheck all the other items.
- Tap Clear Browsing Data.
- Confirm by tapping Clear Browsing Data.
- Tap Done.
How to disable cookies in Chrome on Android
1. Launch the Chrome app.
2. Tap More.
3. Tap “Settings”.
4. Tap “Site Settings”.
5. Tap “Cookies”.
6. Turn off “Cookies” and deselect “Allow third-party cookies”.
7. Now you are done and it should look like bellow.
How to disable cookies in Desktop FireFox
1. Click Menu
2. Click “Options”.
3. Select “Privacy & Security”.
4. Go to “History” and select the “Use Custom Settings for history”.
5. Deselect the “Accept cookies from websites” option.
How to disable cookies on FireFox for Android
1. Open the FireFox app
2. Tap Menu
3. Tap “Settings”.
4. Tap “Privacy”.
5. Tap “Cookies”.
6. Tap “Disabled”.
How to disable cookies on FireFox for iOS
- Open the FireFox app
- Tap Menu
- Tap Settings
- Tap Clear Private Data
- And turn off Cookies to disable them.
How to disable cookies on Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer
- Click Tools
- Click Internet Options
- Select Privacy. Select Advanced in you are using Explorer 11.
- Then choose to block cookies.
How to disable cookies on Microsoft Edge
1. Open Microsoft Edge.
2. Click on the Menu icon (3 dots) and click on “Settings”.
3. Scroll down a bit and click “View advanced settings”.
4. Search for the “Cookies” section and there you can select to “Block all cookies”.