We are on a journey to discover the best VPN for our readers, and we could not have missed NordVPN which is one of the top-rated VPN by almost all of our competitors. We wanted to inquire whether this is indeed one of the best VPN providers our there or just has terrific connections all around that got it to be recommended by organisations like PC Mag, TEDx, Buzzfeed, Wired! Magazine, The BBC and many more publications. As professionals in the online advertising industry, we know sometimes you can find your way around respectable publications based on your strong PR connections rather than the true quality your product offers.
For starters, we should note that our initial opinion of NordVPN as a VPN provider was positive (even before completing our NordVPN review research), because we always favor big brands over smaller ones when it comes to a low-barrier industry like VPNs. The offering between different companies is somewhat similar with some VPN providers offering more locations/IPs than others, some of them offering better software, and some of them offering enhanced security in comparison to others — but ultimately they all offer the same basic service: connecting to the internet through a remote intermediary.
Due to the nature of the VPN industry, we prefer to use established brands which have been operating for several years, like NordVPN – smaller companies don’t have the same stability the more established companies have, and can go bankrupt or just downgrade their level of service. The cheapest VPN plans are usually for 2 years time or more, so a lot of clients go down this route, and if the company fails to deliver you have to chase them to get your money back.
… without further ado, here is our NordVPN review 2018! We will continue to update it and tweak as we know more and compare it with additional VPN companies.
Review Summary (Longer review available below):
RuinMySearchHistory was featured On:
NordVPN Review: Basic Data
This part relates to the NordVPN. The company behind the product is also named NordVPN, and offers only one product, being NordVPN software.
- Founded: 2008
- Country / Offices: Panama
- Employees: Not Specified
- Server Locations: 4538 servers in 62 countries
- Story: NordVPN is all about security, safety and anonymity online. They portray the vision of Tim Berners-Lee, one of the internet pioneers, as their guideline in creating NordVPN. The company does not disclose any details about itself, and we would have normally regarded that as lack of transparency. Some other companies are happy to provide their office locations and disclose a lot of their business’ details, but NordVPN is certainly keeping clandestine. During the making of this NordVPN we have checked several locations to no avail in finding additional details about the company behind the software. In NordVPN’s case it seems justified to keep things on the down-low! The company is making a serious effort to stay loyal to its audience and never keep client logs. They go out their way in showing how serious they are about privacy with the following statement on their website:
- All programming is made in house, so there is no volubility on that area.
- Client reviews: We have discovered hundreds of NordVPN reviews by clients scattered online. The vast majority of which were very positive and it seems like people are generally very happy with the software and the level of service they have received. One thing that really stood out is how many of these positive reinforcements were related to the costumer service. This is normally a weak area for any online company, but with NordVPN it seems like they have nailed it (And it is offered 24/7).
- Strict no logs policy: None of your data is being tracked or revealed to any third party. This means no logs about your time or duration of any session, IP addresses used, websites visited or files downloaded.
- Government pressure: The company is based away from the EU and US jurisdiction and this means that is not required to collect your personal data and information.
- Alternative payment options: Beside the usual payment options like credit card and Paypal, NordVPN allows you to push your privacy even further by accepting Bitcoin as a payment option.
- Onion Over VPN: For those using the Onion browser for their browsing anonymity, they can combine it with NordVPN and add an extra layer of encryption to ensure a top-level privacy.
- Automatic Kill Switch: If, for some reason, your VPN connection drops, the Kill Switch option will automatically block your device or terminate certain programs from accessing the Internet outside the secure VPN tunnel.
Enable CyberSec for a new level of protection
CyberSec is an option that puts NordVPN above others when it comes to what they can offer to the customer. Bellow we will talk about the 3 main functions of this feature. *This option is not a replacement for an antivirus, but if you are not an antivirus user by default, this can really help you.
- Protect you from dangerous websites: If a website you are about to visit is known for hosting malware, trackers, spyware or other malicious software, it will block you from accessing that website. CyberSec is regularly scanning website addresses against popular blocklists so it will know which is safe and which is not.
- Protect you from annoying ads: CyberSec hides unwanted pop-ups, autoplay video ads and other bad ads when you enter a website. This can help you saving mobile data, quicker loading time of the websites and provide a better experience overall.
- Protect you from botnet control: Your device will be secured from participating in DDoS attacks even if it is already infected with malware.
Technical Specs and Pricing
- Basic Plan: $3.29 per month, paid 2 years upfront if you sign up through our link. Else, up to $11.95/m.
- Free trial: No, but you have 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Platform availability: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and Router.
- Minimum requirements Windows: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.
- VPN for multiple devices: Use it on 6 devices with a single account.
- Locations: 62 countries
- Speed: Based on our inspection from multiple locations we have noticed close to 0 lag. NordVPN is definitely one of the fastest VPN providers we have used to date. We tried to use NordVPN to download files (including from P2P servers), watch streaming video, use Facebook and Twitter, and browse the internet. It was all very smooth without any reduced speed in comparison to our normal connection.
- Security: The company does not keep user logs of its clients. At all.
- Security features: Strong Encryption (2048-bit SSL for OpenVPN), Kill Switch