This article explains how to turn Private Browsing, also known as Incognito Mode, on or off in Chrome on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. If you enable Private Mode, Chrome does not save your search history; meaning turning Incognito Mode disables browsing history and the web cache.
Here is how to do it:
How to enable Incognito Mode (iOS Chrome)
- Launch the Chrome app on your iOS device, iPad, iPhone or iPod touch
- Tap More
- Tap New Incognito Tab
- A new tab will launch saying you have gone Incognito. Notice that your new tab will be gray indicated you are in this mode.
That’s job done. You can now surf the web without leaving a trace in your Chrome browser. If you want to close it, follow the steps listed bellow:
How to close Incognito Mode
- Launch the Chrome app
- Tap the Tabs icon
- Now you will see all open tabs
- Incognito tabs will be dark, close them by tapping X
- Then you can open one of your regular tabs.
Note: Using incognito mode doesn’t mean that you are anonymous online. It just means that you won’t leave traces in your Chrome browser for other people using your device. But the data is still visible for companies, your internet service provider or hackers. To be able to keep your privacy online you need to use a VPN.